Residential Building Disputes

The construction of a property or adding to, altering and renovating property, may not always go according to plan, whether you are a builder, property owner or neighbour.  Misunderstandings can arise, small problems can become huge issues and parties find themselves suddenly in dispute.

Residential, or home building work, refers to any work involved in the construction, alteration (or additions to), repair, renovation, extension, decoration or protective treatment of a dwelling.

Residential building work is regulated by the Home Building Act 1989 and associated regulations.

In some circumstances a homeowner (including a subsequent purchaser) may have a claim on the statutory based Home Building Compensation Fund in relation to incomplete and defective residential building work.

Common residential building disputes

  • whether work is complete or incomplete
  • whether work is defective
  • whether other structures, such as retaining walls, have suffered damage as a result of the home building work,
  • progress payments
  • the value of the work
  • variations
  • termination of the contract
  • licensing and insurance,
  • damage to neighbouring property.

Do you need advice on a building dispute? 

I am an experienced construction lawyer working on Sydney’s Northern Beaches at Brookvale.   I provide a practical and cost-effective legal service to builders, sub-contractors, property owners, certifiers and strata managers. 

Call 02 9452 6298  Send an Email  Online Enquiry